Home Depot is a large chain home improvement store with over 2,000 stores nationwide and over 20 stores in Nevada. Home Depot sells home improvement and construction materials for residential customers and commercial builders. I cannot imagine that you have not been to a Home Depot store at some point in your life to pick up a tool, light switch cover, paint or any of the literally thousands of products available to make our homes and lives more comfortable and beautiful. When I was younger, I would wander the mall after work in search of the perfect weekend outfit, sipping a giant overpriced lemonade. Now, I wander the aisles of Home Depot endlessly sipping an overpriced coffee searching for the perfect shelves to organize my pantry LOL. It is a great store when it comes to price and selection for home improvement. The typical Home Depot store is usually bustling with activity, especially as an “essential business” during the pandemic. Thus, it comes as no surprise that Home Depot faces a sizable number of lawsuits by customers injured because of the negligence of employees or the sale of defective products that cause injury. All retail businesses have an obligation to maintain their premises in a “reasonably safe condition and have a duty to warn consumers of any potential dangers or hazards.” This is why you see little yellow or orange cones around a wet or broken area in a store on occasion, to warn shoppers.
Because slip and fall accidents happen at Home Depot, like most retailers, they are frequently the defendant in premises liability lawsuits. Home Depot is a great company that takes great care in protecting its guests. However, like in most large retail companies, there are a lot of employees working every day and mistakes happen.
Having worked for a large insurance company for many years, and having handled many claims against large retailers, it is my experience that while large companies will rightfully fight against frivolous claims, they will also pay a reasonable value on legitimate claims that are properly brought against them when the evidence establishes their liability. That is why it is critical to take the proper steps at the scene to preserve your claim and call us at TheOnewlawyer.com for your personal injury claim against Home Depot.
Types of Claims Against Home Depot
There are many distinct types of personal injuries that result for an accident on the premises of Home Depot or from a product sold. The most common injury accident that we have seen result from slip and fall accidents on the premises, claims involving excessive force from Home Depot security, and Defective products such as Defective Husky/Tri-Cam ladders, One World Technologies/Ryobi Technologies/Ridgid table saws and other defective products.
Past Successful Injury Claims Against Home Depot
The following are synopses of some personal injury settlements and jury verdicts against Home Depot nationwide. These are only examples of real cases. Every claim is unique, and the facts need to be established and investigated immediately following the injury.
- Jury Verdict in Tennessee 2012 for $809,241; In this case, Home Depot driver veered across the center line on the road and struck the Plaintiff head-on. Plaintiffs sustained a serious neck injury that required surgery. Plaintiff incurs $ 36,241 in medical bills. Home Depot’s settlement offer pretrial was $200,000.
- Jury Verdict in New Jersey 2011 for $975,000 ; 44-year-old in New Jersey was in Home Depot parking lot and was waiting near his vehicle for a propane tank delivery. Unfortunately, wind dislodged a stocked cart causing it to roll down a hill and strike the Plaintiff. The Plaintiff sustained a back injury including a partial vertebral fracture requiring surgery. According to Bob Bratt he filed suit against Home Depot and the owner of the cart, claiming that the owner of the cart should have secured it safely, and that Home Depot was negligent by allowing carts to parked. The jury found Home Depot 80% responsible and the cart owner of the cart 20% responsible.
- Settlement in Boston, Massachusetts for $425,000; 2012: Plaintiff was a welder going down a ladder while on a jobsite. As he descended the ladder, one of the ladder’s top rungs detached from the side rails causing him to fall. The plaintiff sustained a rotator cuff shoulder injury that required two surgeries. Plaintiff filed suit against the ladder’s manufacturer, Tricam, and Home Depot where the ladder was purchased.
- Jury Verdict in Oregon. 2017: $4,527,799: Plaintiff filed a lawsuit against ladder manufacturer Tricam and Home Depot for injuries resulting from a fall due to a defective ladder. The jury found Tricam/Home Depot 70% responsible for the harm that was caused and 30% was attributed to the Plaintiff. The verdict was later reduced by the trial judge to $1.9 million.
- Settlement in California 2017: $101,000. A female child sustained permanent scarring after a display cabinet fell down on top of her when she opened the cabinet doors.
- Jury Verdict in New Jersey 2011: $159,125.: This case involved a 57-year-old electrical contractor who was walking near the entrance of a Home Depot store and fell on a patch of ice. He sustained a torn quadricep which required surgery. Home Depot claimed the area of the fall was inspected two hours before plaintiff’s fall. Home Depot argued that they did not have sufficient notice of the condition. The jury did not agree with Home Depot.
- Jury Verdict: $624,472.45 California 2013 Plaintiff was a 27-year-old correctional officer who sustained injury at a California Home Depo when a palm tree for sale fell and struck her left shoulder. Plaintiff filed suit against Home Depot claiming failure to properly maintain the tree resulting in a dangerous condition. Home Depot raised the defense the tree only grazed Plaintiff, and that she did not fall to the ground.
Identity Theft Class Action Lawsuit
In addition to person injury lawsuits, a class action lawsuit has been filed against Home Depot following a serious data breach that exposed the credit card information for millions of customers. This case has been filed in federal court in Illinois and alleges that Home Depot failed to protect its customers’ personal data.
Who Can Sue Home Depot?
If you are a Home Depot shopper who has been injured in a Home Depot, you can sue Home Depot for your injuries. Employees of Home Depot can sue the company for such things as sexual harassment. However, employees of Home Depot injured on the job, are usually limited to a workers’ compensation claim, but there can be exceptions.
Getting a Lawyer to Fight Home Depot
TheOneLawyer.com is handling person injury cases against Home Depot. At TheOneLawyer.com we take serious injury and wrongful death cases retail businesses like Home Depot. If you or a loved one has been injured as the result of the negligence of Home Depot or by a defective product purchased at Home Depot, call us today at 702-450-4868 to speak directly to Laura Payne, Esq. for a free consultation.
WHY I AM GRATEFULL 2022: Today I found out a colleague I have worked with for many years is leaving for an amazing opportunity. I am sad and stressed about their departure, but I am going to choose to be grateful for the years I have gotten to work with him and the journey to find a replacement who will bring innovative ideas to our firm. It is important for all of us to be the change we want to see in the world by making gratitude a part of each day. Accepting change, especially the change we do not want, with a positive outlook is part of being grateful. If we all practice gratitude more regularly, the world will be a kinder place. Each of my blogs will contain something I am grateful for and reviewed in our year end blog. I hope that you will also have a lengthy list by the end of 2022. I hope that by reflecting on gratitude, we will find the positive of everyday, even the days that are stressful.
We fight hard for our clients every day and we are grateful you have chosen TheOneLawyer.com to fight for you and your family after a car accident and help you recover for the injuries sustained in that car accident. At TheOneLawyer.com, we are here to serve our community and provide legal services in the Henderson and Las Vegas area and we are grateful for this opportunity. We are a boutique law firm providing experienced and personal representation to injured clients. At the Law Offices of Laura Payne, Esq. TheOneLawyer.com we provide professional and personal service to each and every one of our clients on various legal matters and have over 15 years of experience in reviewing insurance policies and in Nevada insurance law. If you have a question regarding any type of personal injury or paying your medical bills from an accident, please do not hesitate to call the offices of TheOneLawyer.com and speak directly to attorney Laura Marie Payne, Esq. a Henderson Injury Attorney for over 15 years. Laura is recognized as one of Nevada’s Top 100 Lawyers. She has the experience and knowledge to obtain the maximum settlement you deserve. Please call our office if you or a loved one is injured. We can make sure that you receive the care you need and deserve and advise on how to preserve evidence.
At our office, we are experienced in helping injured victims get the compensation to which they are entitled. Insurance companies never have the best interest of the injured person at the top of their priorities. They want to pay as little on every claim as possible. Having worked for an insurance company as an attorney for 9 years before opening my boutique law firm specializing in helping injured people, I have reviewed thousands of auto accident claims and policy provisions.
At the Henderson and Las Vegas Accident injury law offices of TheOneLawyer.com, Laura Payne, Esq. and her staff are here to help you and your family in the event that accidents and tragedies occur. For any of your legal needs, do not hesitate to contact our Henderson and Las Vegas Accident injury offices. TheOneLawyer.com is a boutique, family-owned law firm that specializes in helping injured people and the community of Las Vegas and Henderson Nevada with legal issues involving auto accidents, wrongful deaths, slip and falls, truck accidents, injuries to children, bicycle accidents, dog bites, product liability claims, and all types of injury claims. Please do not hesitate to call us anytime you have a legal question or you or a loved one has sustained an injury at 702-450-4868 and text 24/7 at 702-600-0032. claim