who pays medical bills after an accident

Who Pays My Doctor if I am Involved in an Auto Accident?

Laura Hunt AttorneyWhen you or a loved one are involved in an auto accident, it is critical that you or your loved one obtain medical attention as soon as possible.  If you have health insurance you should obtain medical care at a hospital if you are injured. If you do not have medical insurance and your injuries are not life-threatening, it is often best to be seen at a quick care to evaluate the level of your injuries and determine if you need to be transported to a hospital.  If you have health insurance, always give your emergency providers your health insurance information. This is critical advice.

Will the At-Fault Driver Pay For My Medical Bills?

People often think that when they are involved in an auto accident, the at fault driver will be able to pay for all of their medical bills. Although it is a fact that they are legally responsible for those bills, they often do not have the funds to pay those bills. In the state of Nevada, unfortunately, the legislature only requires drivers to maintain a $15,000 per person automobile accident liability policy. Therefore, many drivers in the state of Nevada are driving on the road ways with only $15,000 of insurance to cover any injuries that they inflict on other drivers. In the world of skyrocketing medical costs that we live in, it is obvious that $15,000 will not cover extensive medical damages. When you are involved in an automobile collision, you will not have the information as to whether or not the other driver has any insurance at all, and if they do, how much coverage, for a significant amount of time following the auto accident.  In fact, since the Nevada legislature again sided with insurance companies several years ago and determined that insurance companies do not have to tell you how much insurance the other driver has following an accident.  It often requires a lawsuit against the other driver to even find out how much insurance they have to cover your injuries.

Therefore, it is important to protect yourself and your finances when you are involved in a collision.  At the Law Offices of Laura Hunt, we have been helping injured drivers and passengers in Henderson and Las Vegas get compensated for the injuries they sustained and the medical bills incurred in automobile accidents for over 10 years. We understand the importance of our clients obtaining the best medical care possible and having their medical bills paid.

What if Health Insurance Denies Auto Accident Related Bills?

Often times, your health insurance may initially deny medical bills related to an automobile accident. However, once the appropriate subrogation forms are submitted to your insurance company, they are required to pay those bills. They are allowed to be reimbursed from the other driver’s insurance policy. However, they cannot deny paying these bills. That doesn’t mean that they won’t improperly deny payment.   With our years of experience, we will get your bills paid.  In these complex insurance matters where there is health insurance coverage, insurance from the other driver, and other coverages available, it is important to have a personal injury attorney to negotiate these bills in order to maximize your recovery and make sure they are paid by the correct policy.

As long as we maintain a third-party payer system in this country where insurance companies control our healthcare system, the negotiated rates of the insurance companies cannot be matched.  For example if you are seen in the hospital and your bill is $15,000, a negotiated rate from your health insurance company or Medicare or Medicaid is likely well under $5000.  The other driver does not get the benefit of this offset when arguing this case in a court of law. Therefore, the other driver is liable for the extent of the medical bills as they are incurred on their face and not as they are negotiated by insurance company.

I know this appears to be a complicated explanation for who should pay your medical bills. But the short answer is always your health insurance if you have coverage available for your emergency care. If you do not have health insurance, and your injuries are not life-threatening, seek treatment at a quick care medical facility immediately for an evaluation and referral to the appropriate doctors. It is an unfortunate reality that the driver that hit you may very well not have enough insurance or money to cover a large medical bill and if you do not have health insurance or underinsured motorist coverage you could be stuck for that bill, even though the accident is not your fault.

By contacting a personal injury lawyer immediately, you can receive the care that you need and be assured that you will receive the maximum compensation available for the injuries you sustained and have your medical bills paid.  We are happy to review your policy with you to make sure that you have coverages that best suit your needs.  Having worked in the insurance industry as an attorney for 9 years before opening our boutique law firm specializing in helping injured people, I reviewed thousands of insurance policies.   With extensive experience in the insurance field, I can help you review your coverages quickly and efficiently so that you know exactly what coverages you have or need in the event of an accident.

At the Law Offices of Laura Hunt we are here to help you and your family in the event that accidents or tragedies occur. For any of your legal needs, do not hesitate to contact our offices.  The Law Offices of Laura Hunt is a boutique, family owned law firm in Henderson that specializes in helping injured people and the community with legal issues involving auto accidents, wrongful deaths, slip and falls, truck accidents, injuries to children, bicycle accidents, dog bites, and all types of injury claims.  Please do not hesitate to call us anytime you have a legal question or you or a loved one has sustained an injury at 702-450-(HUNT) 4868.