• If you are injured while out of town, always provide your health insurance information to the hospital and all medical providers
  • If you do not have health insurance, seek medical care appropriate for your level of injury.  If your injuries are not critical, seek medical attention at the closest quick care facility.
  • When you receive the paperwork from your health insurance company following the accident, consult the Law Offices of Laura Hunt, PC to for assistance filing out the forms.
  • Continue with your medical car when you return home.


Laura Hunt AttorneyVacation season is approaching and families will be hitting the road to visit distant relatives and friends.  If you are injured in a car accident when you are traveling, there are certain things you should know. Most people are of the opinion that when they are injured in an auto accident the insurance company for the at fault driver will immediately and timely pay all of their medical bills for whatever treatment they need. This is 100% false. It is extremely important that you protect yourself because there will be a substantial delay in any funds that you receive from the at fault driver following a car accident. If you are injured when you are out of town, if you are fortunate to have health insurance you should absolutely provide that information to the hospital, ambulance company and anywhere that you receive treatment while you are out of town.

There are several reasons for this. First, your health insurance will timely pay these bills and, if the at fault driver has insurance coverage they will be responsible to pay your health insurance company back. The second reason is that if the adverse party does not have insurance coverage or does not have enough insurance coverage, you will not be responsible to pay back your health insurance company for these bills. In addition, your health insurance company has substantial negotiated discounts with most of the providers that you will not receive if they are paid by the third-party or if you have to pay them out-of-pocket because they were not timely submitted to your health insurance company.

If you, unfortunately, do not have health insurance and you are injured while you’re out of town it is important to seek the appropriate medical care consistent with the injuries that you received. If your injuries are not life-threatening or critical, it may be in your best interest to go to a quick care facility close to the location of the accident. The reason for this is that the hospital bill could be substantial and could even be more than the available automobile insurance coverage available from the adverse driver. In past blogs I outlined that states have different minimum requirements for insurance coverage, but many states have only a $15,000 required amount of coverage per driver, some states have only a $10,000 required minimum per driver. Therefore it is important that you make good decisions when obtaining medical care so that these bills can be paid. In addition, you will not know at the time of the accident if the adverse driver even has coverage that is in force and effect at the time of the accident, and it is possible that you could be stuck with your medical bills if the other driver does not have coverage and you do not have UIM coverage.

It would be nice if the world was perfect and every person who was at fault for causing injury had enough money to cover the injury or enough insurance to cover the injury and timely paid bills that were incurred. Unfortunately, this is not the world that we live in and it is important that you protect you and your family following an accident.

If you have health insurance and you submitted your health insurance information to the providers that you saw while out of town, it is likely that you will receive paperwork in the mail called subrogation paperwork from your health insurance company. At the Law Offices of Laura Hunt, PC we have been helping injured drivers in car accidents who are residents of Henderson and Las Vegas for over 10 years. We are happy to go over these documents with you and fill them out as part of our representation. It is important that the subrogation forms are timely and accurately returned to your health insurance company to make sure that your bills get paid timely and that the appropriate discounts are made.

It is important to take the right steps following a collision out of town to get the medical care that you and your family need without adversely affecting your financial condition.  If you or a loved one is involved in an auto accident while you’re out of town feel free to call the Law offices of Laura Hunt, PC.. We are available 24/7 via phone and text message at 702-600-0032 to answer questions that you have at the time of your accident. We have been helping people injured in car accidents for the last decade and recovered millions of dollars for our clients.

If you are involved in an accident while out of town, contact our offices today.  By contacting a lawyer immediately, you can receive the most money for your damages. At my office, we are experienced to handle all types of automobile injury claims and property damage claims.  Having worked for the insurance company as an attorney for 9 years before opening my boutique law firm specializing in helping injured people, I reviewed thousands of auto accident claims. With extensive experience in the insurance field, I can help you review all of the  coverages available to maximize the money you receive.

At the Law Offices of Laura Hunt we are here to help you and your family in the event that accidents and tragedies occur. For any of your legal needs, do not hesitate to contact our offices.  The Law Offices of Laura Hunt is a boutique, family owned law firm in Henderson that specializes in helping injured people and the community with legal issues involving auto accidents, wrongful deaths, slip and falls, truck accidents, injuries to children, bicycle accidents, dog bites, and all types of injury claims.  Please do not hesitate to call us anytime you have a legal question or you or a loved one has sustained an injury at 702-450-(HUNT) 4868 and text 24/7 at 702-600-0032.