Here’s a frightening statistic: Children are more than twice as likely to be struck by a car and killed on Halloween than on any other day of the year.
HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS
“Trick or Treat!”…are the words spouted with joy by thousands children every Halloween. It’s the holiday for costumes, candy, tricks and treats. But ghosts, vampires and monsters aren’t the only things to be wary of this Halloween. Accidents and unfortunate mishaps increase dramatically on this traditional evening of whimsical fun. It is important to avoid potential risks and dangers. The following are some safety measures to keep children from being injured while out trick-or-treating:
- Always trick or treat with an adult. Don’t allow a child to go outside alone.
- Accompany children to the door of every house they approach.
- Stay outside. Do not enter a home or apartment without adult supervision.
- Children should not approach any vehicle, occupied or not.
- Remain visible. Wear bright clothing or use reflective strips on costumes. Carry a glow stick or flashlight.
- Obey all traffic and pedestrian regulations. Look both ways before crossing, walk on sidewalks, and obey traffic signals and stop signs. Always walk; never run across streets or lawns.
- Trick or Treat at friendly homes. Children should be warned to never approach a house that is not well lit and does not have a porch light or outside light on.
- Do not go onto a property that is marked “Keep Out”, “No Trespassing”, and “No Solicitors Allowed”.
- Never eat any candy until an adult checks it. Dispose of anything that seems to have been tampered with, has been opened, or isn’t wrapped.
- Children should immediately report to their parents and/or law enforcement if they see or experience anything suspicious. Instruct children to shout for help and make a scene if anyone tries to grab them or force them into involuntary situations.
- A great alternative to trick or treating is for parents to attend community trick or treat events or organize at-home parties.
If you or a loved one is injured on Halloween or at any time, call our office immediately and we will make sure that you receive the care you need and deserve, and advise on how to preserve evidence. If you have been in any type of accident and have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our offices today. At my office, we are experienced in helping injured victims get the compensation they are entitled to. Insurance companies never have the best interest of the injured person at the top of their priorities. They want to pay as little on every claim as possible. Having worked for an insurance company as an attorney for 9 years before opening my boutique law firm specializing in helping injured people, I reviewed thousands of auto accident claims and policy provisions.
At the Law Offices of Laura Payne Hunt we are here to help you and your family in the event that accidents and tragedies occur. For any of your legal needs, do not hesitate to contact our offices. The Law Offices of Laura Payne Hunt is a boutique, family owned law firm in Henderson that specializes in helping injured people and the community with legal issues involving auto accidents, wrongful deaths, slip and falls, truck accidents, injuries to children, bicycle accidents, dog bites, and all types of injury claims. Please do not hesitate to call us anytime you have a legal question or you or a loved one has sustained an injury at 702-450-(HUNT) 4868 and text 24/7 at 702-600-0032.