DON’T LET A CAR ACCIDENT WRECK YOUR VACATION
Vacations are best for getting away from everything stressful. You can enjoy the sun and the beach or get away the snowy slopes and fireside hot chocolate, or anything that your family enjoys. Often on vacation, you may try new adventures like jet skiing, snorkeling, snowboarding, or any other type of vacation fun. Unfortunately, we don’t often consider that accidents can happen anywhere, even on vacation. Armed with information and a few necessities like your family health insurance cards, your auto insurance card (whether you are driving your own car or renting a car) along with shorts and sun block, can reduce stress in the event of an accident.
It’s not something we want to think about when packing for a vacation. It’s likely last thing we want to think about. However, a couple clicks of your phone and you will not have to think about it again unless it happens. It is important to know your rights and responsibilities while traveling any time, including on vacation.
BEFORE YOU GO, TAKE THE FOLLOWING PHOTOS WITH YOUR PHONE:
- Your Family health insurance cards
- Lists of any family allergies
- Your auto insurance card
Spring break is a great time to take a trip to more open, cooler, prettier places like the beach or the mountains, or a visit with family in old hometowns or living it up on the Las Vegas Strip. Road trips are exciting, and air travel can get us their much quicker, and renting a car can save time.
An accident is likely the last thing on your mind as you prepare for your trip, and not something you want to think about. However, a little bit of knowledge can make a stressful situation, easier and not end a great vacation. I hope to answer the most important questions you will have if you find yourself in an accident while on vacation. Whether you are driving your own car or renting a vehicle for an out-of-town vacation, the following is a list items you will want to know to be prepared in the event of an accident:
- Make sure the police or on-site security is called to the scene immediately. This will likely be your only opportunity to gather critical information.
- Take pictures of everything including the people themselves involved, the weather, the cars, the road, driver’s licenses, insurance cards, license plates, witness’s and their vehicles, any traffic signals or signs in place, the location of the accident, any article like a ride that caused injury, the floor in a slip and fall, all signs in the area.
- If anyone is injured, get medical help at a hospital or quick care and if you have your own health insurance, use it. Provide the medical provider all of your information and make sure to obtain any records you can while you are there.
- Take photos immediately of any injuries sustained such as bruising and lacerations.
TYPES OF CASES HANDLED BY HUNT LAW OFFICES
- Swimming pool and spa drowning accidents and slip and fall accidents.
- Injuries due to violence caused by negligent security or inadequate security.
- Acts of crime by employees leading to injuries including sexual assaults and assault and battery.
- Vehicle accidents involving transportation companies or rental cars.
- Accidents on busses and/or public transportation accidents.
- Accidents resulting from the use of personal watercraft, jet-skis, and water ski accidents.
- Accidents involving amusement parks, theme park rides and attractions, equipment failure or maintenance accidents at theme parks.
- Accidents involving hotel escalators and/or elevator accidents and slip and fall accidents.
- Scuba diving and parasailing accidents resulting from faulty equipment.
Business owners, hotel owners, rental companies, and theme parks owners who cater to vacationers have a responsibility to keep their premises safe for visitors and their attractions working properly. They must provide a safe premises, and protection from dangers. Rides and rental equipment must function as intended. Unfortunately, some vacation destinations and resorts do not pay attention to the safety measures that they are required to implement for the protection of their guests. Due to this type of negligence, an attorney is often needed to protect your rights. Laura Hunt, Esq. is dedicated to helping tourists and vacationers injured in accidents, find justice, while visiting Las Vegas and California. To tell us about your case or concern, please email email@example.com or call 702-600-0032 24 hours a day and on weekends.
ISSUES OF VACATION ACCIDENTS
Wherever your flight, drive or voyage may take you, an attorney can you help if you’re injured on your journey. The following is important to keep in mind:
- State Law in Different States– An attorney can Laura Hunt, Esq. can answer questions regarding laws that vary by state including traffic laws, statutes of limitations, helmet laws, floatation device laws, etc.
- How Does Insurance work Out of State– What happens if you’re in an auto accident in a different state – or country for that matter? What state’s insurance laws do you follow? The answer is usually yes on your own policies with certain exceptions. An experienced attorney can answer these important questions.
- Rental Cars — With a rental, you will likely need to deal with additional paperwork. As soon as you can, you should contact the rental company and inform them of what happened. Most rental cars are equipped with a sticker in the glove box that has emergency information on it. You will usually be covered on your own auto policy and you also need to contact your own insurance company as soon as possible
WHAT ABOUT GETTING THE CAR FIXED?
To help make things easier, here is are few issues you may be faced with dealing with:
- Your insurance may advise you to fix your car locally. An insurance company will not want to pay to have your damaged car towed to your home town. If the car is drivable, take the vehicle home for repairs.
- The body shop may not perform quality work, so double check the work before leaving the shop. If the body shop knows you are not local, they may not give your vehicle the treatment you would receive at your local repair shop. This is why you may want to wait for repairs until you get home. Don’t let a dent ruin a vacation.
- You will be responsible for picking up from the shop when repairs are done. It is not likely that the insurance company will deliver your repaired vehicle back to your home town.
- Obtain a police report. Find out from the officer where the records office is and request it as soon as you get home. It usually takes 10-14 days for them to have the report ready anyway.
- If repairs are necessary, find a facility with a nationwide warranty plan. If you have to have your car repaired before you can drive it home, look for a body shop that has nationwide warranty coverage. By using a body that has nationwide locations, you can avoid a problem when you get home.
- If anyone calls you to take a recorded statement besides your own insurance company, do not provide a recorded statement to them. Sometimes the at fault company will try to call you right away and ask slanted questions and get you to give information that you have not received yet. They will take advantage of your stressed state.
Being in an automobile accident is never headache free and being in one while away from home and on vacation is even worse. Hopefully with this information, you will be able to avoid some of the headache that people experience and continue enjoying your getaway.
An accident is frightening and more difficult when you are far from home. If injuries happen, it complicates your vacation and adds stress to the entire family. If you or one of your family members is seriously injured, an attorney can take care of paper work associated with medical bills as well as all the paperwork associated a repair the vehicle.
If you or a loved one have been injured any type of accident while on vacation, an accident that was caused by the negligence of someone else, you should contact an experienced attorney about your case in addition to your insurance or rental car company. Operators of resorts and theme parks do not always put guest safety first. Never assume they will act in your best interest if and accident occurs and e proactive. Follow the steps above to protect you and your loved ones.
Free Initial Legal Consultation – and We Aren’t Paid unless there is a Recovery
Hunt Law Offices has handled hundreds of auto accident, slip and fall cases, catastrophic injury cases, personal injury cases, and have recovered millions of dollars for our injured clients. Laura Hunt’s consultation with potential vacation accident and resort accidents clients is free. If we take your case, we are only paid fees and costs of suit if we are successful in obtaining money for you. We advance the costs of your case, too, so there’s no cost to you of bringing your claim. To tell us about your case or concern, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 702-600-0032 24 hours a day and on weekends.